‘American Idol’s’ New Judge: Smashing Pumpkins Frontman Billy Corgan?
Billy Corgan, a judge on “American Idol?” It doesn’t sound like a likely fit, but the Smashing Pumpkins frontman isn’t opposed to the idea. Quite the opposite! After his March 13 SXSW panel discussion in which he let his thoughts roll out about the music industry, the famed grunge singer and songwriter acknowledged that he would still accept a position judging on “American Idol” if it came his way.
“I’d love it,” Corgan told Spinner. Corgan then went on to explain that while he believe a lot is wrong with the music industry today, “Idol” is not the problem, but instead “society’s inability to culturally offset the effect of those shows on the music industry.”
“I don’t have a problem with ‘Idol’ or ‘X Factor,’ I have a problem with when those things are not given the proper contextual hue,” he said. “If there’s an ‘American Idol’ there should be a proper alternative counterbalance — if there was hair metal, there was grunge, know what I mean?”
Corgan added that he likes shows like “Idol” for being obvious in their goal, unlike most new rock music, which he calls “Laptop Rock.” “Laptop Rock is not the adequate response for ‘American Idol’ — and everybody knows it.”
Corgan and the Pumpkins have been releasing a string of killer webisodes celebration of their recent “Gish” and “Siamese Dream” reissues. Watch the latest video describing ‘90s Pumpkins hit “Disarm,” which includes an acoustic performance from Corgan, via this link. (Photo via YouTube.)
- Smashing Pumpkins’ Billy Corgan Appears in Latest Issue of ‘Food Network Magazine’
- Billy Corgan Calls Tommy Lee His ‘Brother and Friend’
- Soundgarden’s Kim Thayil Recalls Josh Homme and Billy Corgan Stopping By During ‘Superuknown’ Sessions
- Billy Corgan Finds Treasure Trove of Old Smashing Pumpkins Material
- Billy Corgan Says Tommy Lee Has Turned the Smashing Pumpkins into ‘Supersonic Pumpkins’