Happy birthday to Lorde, who turns 17 today
Birthday wishes are in order for Lorde. The singer, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, turns 17 years old today, which still makes her plenty young to have a chart-topping single.
Lorde’s breakout hit, “Royals,” has held steady at No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for six weeks now, making her the first New Zealand solo musician to hit No. 1 in U.S. The song was also recently named the longest-running No. 1 single by a female musician on the Alternative Songs chart.
“Royals” also recently debuted at No. 1 in the U.K. According to Billboard, the U.K. debut makes Lorde the youngest solo artist in 15 years to debut at No. 1 on the British singles chart. The last artist to hold that title was British actress Billie Piper, who in 1998 reached No. 1 with her single “Because We Want To” at the age of 15.
In other Lorde news, the artist has earned a Silver Scroll Award from the Australasian Performing Rights Association for her work on “Royals.”
“Royals” appears on Lorde’s debut full-length, “Pure Heroine,” which is available now.
- Radiohead, New Order, Lorde + More Set for Coachella
- Lorde, Imagine Dragons and Bastille Score American Music Awards Nominations
- Lorde Releases New Single, ‘Yellow Flicker Beat’
- Lorde to Release New Single, ‘Yellow Flicker Beat,’ in September
- Pearl Jam, Lorde, Beck and More to Play Austin City Limits