Top nominees for this year’s mtvU Woodie Awards include Arcade Fire, Imagine Dragons and Lorde
The Woodie Awards are something like the Grammy Awards of all things college rock. The Woodies, which are a sector of MTV’s 24-hour college network mtvU, recognize “the music voted best by college student” and serve to highlight lots of up-and-comers and especially alternative music artists.
This year’s Woodie Award nominees have been announced, and the top bands in the running include Arcade Fire, Imagine Dragons and Lorde. Other artists up for multiple awards are Daft Punk, Bastille, Beyonce, Drake, Jay Z, Pharrell, Disclosure, the 1975, Chance the Rapper and A$AP Rocky. The event’s biggest award, Woodie of the Year, will pit artists from all genres against each other, with this year’s nominees including Lorde, Pharrell, Dragons, Disclosure, Drake and Zedd.
The 2014 Woodie Awards will be given out during a special ceremony at this year’s South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, this spring. For those who can’t make it down to Texas, the Woodie Awards will also air during a half-hour special at 8 p.m. on March 16 on mtvU.
- Radiohead, New Order, Lorde + More Set for Coachella
- Linkin Park, Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy and More on Shazam’s New Music Discovery Program
- Imagine Dragons Fan Finds Band Merchandise Hidden in Nevada Desert
- Imagine Dragons Announce New Album, ‘Smoke + Mirrors’
- Lorde, Imagine Dragons and Bastille Score American Music Awards Nominations