Motley Crue’s Tommy Lee is playing drums on some new Smashing Pumpkins tunes
Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan has tapped Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee to play drums on the band’s new music, and according to Corgan, the recording is going along swimmingly. In a new post on the Smashing Pumpkins’ official blog, Corgan says the songs “sound epic in a way that is indescribable” with Lee on drums.
“I guess I could toss off hyperbole after pronoun, but it would sell short what I like to call ‘Supersonic Pumpkins,’ Corgan wrote, “which is a descriptor in itself. Tommy hits the drums in a crushing manner, but as many fans know this is not without nuance or reaction; as he has a fantastic ear for music and plays with the songs in a means that only enhances excitement.”
Corgan went on to compare Lee’s drumming to John Bonham of Led Zeppelin, “where heavy drums can sound soft and expressive. Good company indeed!”
Smashing Pumpkins are planning to release not one, but two new albums, both arriving in 2015 via BMG.
- Smashing Pumpkins Reunite with James Iha for First Time in 16 Years
- Billy Corgan on Getting Mentioned in Foo Fighters’ Video: ‘This is Hysterical’
- Billy Corgan Writes Tribute to Scott Weiland
- Billy Corgan: Radiohead Was the Last Band That Did Anything New With Guitar
- The Smashing Pumpkins Announce 2015 Acoustic Tour Dates