Metallica will bring their metal music to Glastonbury next month, and it’s a milestone for the festival
Metallica are staring at a big gig this year: Glastonbury. In fact, Metallica are the first metal artists to headline Glastonbury in the U.K. festival’s 44-year history. Does that mean metal music is making its way into the mainstream? Let’s just say it’s a good sign of heavy music being appreciated by the masses.
Ask Mick Jagger, whose band the Rolling Stones headlined last year, and he’ll tell you he believes Metallica are a great fit for the festival.
“I’ve seen them live, and they’re going to be great,” Jagger told The Sun. He added that the Stones had a “great time” headlining last year’s show, and it’s why the band decided to play more festivals this summer.
Metallica will be joined by Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian at the top of this year’s Glastonbury bill. The Black Keys, Jack White, the 1975, Skrillex, Pixies and MGMT are among the other acts on the bill.
Serge Pizzorno of Kasabian recently told MTV that he thinks the unorthodox booking will pay off. “It’s quite a bold move Metallica – it’s a monster,” he said.
Glastonbury Festival is scheduled to take place June 25 through 29 in the U.K.
- Jason Newsted Weighs In on Metallica’s New Album and Robert Trujillo
- Korn Taps Metallica Bassist Robert Trujilo’s Son for Upcoming Tour
- Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, AFI Members Featured in New Green Day Movie
- Metallica’s Lars Ulrich: You Want to Make Shows into Events
- Metallica and Lady Gaga Share Grammy Rehearsal Footage