Justin Bieber goes grunge
Justin Bieber, at this point, is known for donning classic rock and metal-inspired T-shirts, which isn’t the norm for someone who is known as a pop star. Earlier this month, Bieber performed in Seattle, the birthplace of grunge music, and he paid tribute to the city’s musical history by donning a Kurt Cobain T-shirt during some of the show and performing an unplugged set taking cues from Nirvana’s famed 1993 MTV Unplugged performance.
Bieber sported the Cobain T-shirt with flannel and ripped jeans, a nod to ‘90s fashion. His long, blonde hair was also styled much like Cobain’s, adding to the impersonation of sorts.
In related news, earlier this year, Nirvana bass player Krist Novoselic and Cobain’s widow, Courtney Love, paid tribute to Bieber with a pair of tweets. Novoselic tweeted, “Everybody loves Justin,” with a link to Love’s tweet calling Bieber, “Such a gentleman,” after meeting him at a men’s fashion event in Los Angeles.
Follow Audio Ink on Facebook here and Twitter @AudioInkRadio.
Everybody loves Justin. https://t.co/GUaFR3qcdV
— Krist Novoseli? (@KristNovoselic) February 11, 2016
— Courtney Love Cobain (@Courtney) February 11, 2016
Watch fan-filmed footage of the Seattle show below.
- Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain + Alice in Chains’ Layne Staley – Remembering the Legacy
- Smile Empty Soul’s Sean Danielsen Talks ‘Rarities,’ Covering Nirvana and More
- Nirvana Singer Kurt Cobain Would Have Turned 50 Years Old Today
- Nirvana Compilation ‘Incesticide’ Turns 25 in 2017
- Krist Novoselic on What Kurt Cobain Would Think of Modern Music