Tom Morello, Serj Tankian and Tim McIlrath have teamed up for a track in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement
The Occupy Wall Street movement is just over a year old, and Rage Against the Machine guitarist Tom Morello has supported the movement from day one, both via words of encouragement during interviews with the press and by playing various Occupy Wall Street events. Now, Morello has posted a new song online, “We Are the 99 Percent,” in support of the campaign.
The track, which is currently streaming via Rolling Stone’s official website, offers guest vocals from Rise Against’s Tim McIlrath and System of a Down’s Serj Tankian. Fans may also download “We Are the 99 Percent” for free all day today (Sept. 28) via his official website, AxisOfJustice.net.
“[The song is] our gift to the movement,” Morello told Rolling Stone about the track. “I wanted to do a huge riff-rock anthem. It would feel like the excitement of the global Occupy Wall Street movement.” He added that he believes the accomplishment of Occupy Wall Street stems from its gift of injecting “into the global dialogue the horrific economic inequality that plagues the planet” and making people aware of the “grotesque global poverty and the growing inequality in our country.”
- Foo Fighters, Kid Rock, Rage’s Tom Morello Featured on New John Fogerty Album
- Rage Against the Machine’s Tom Morello to Tour with Springsteen
- Mumford & Sons, Eddie Vedder, Tom Morello to Pay Tribute to Bruce Springsteen at MusiCares Event
- Rage Against the Machine Guitarist Gives Update on Band’s Future
- Eddie Vedder and Tom Morello Jam with Bruce Springsteen in Chicago