Dinosaur Jr. frontman J Mascis says Kurt Cobain petitioned him to be in Nirvana
Any true grunge fan knows that before there was Nirvana, there was Dinosaur Jr. That said, it’s no surprise that there’s a longstanding rumor that Dinosaur Jr. frontman J Mascis was asked to join Nirvana by late Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain. Now, Mascis is not only confirming the rumor is true, but he says he was actually asked to be a second guitarist for Nirvana twice.
“Nirvana was playing Maxwell’s [in Hoboken, New Jersey, on June 13, 1989] and after the show I was talking to Kurt and [Sonic Youth's] Thurston Moore,” Mascis told SPIN. “Kurt said, ‘you should join my band.’ I think he was sick of [former guitarist] Jason [Everman] who was in the band at the time, and thought I should play guitar. I didn’t think much about it.”
He added that drumming was also an option: “Later, there was also talk of playing drums on a single [1990's Sliver] they were doing, but it ended up being [Mudhoney drummer] Dan Peters.”
Right now, Dinosaur Jr. are touring North America in support of their tenth studio release, “I Bet on Sky.” Find a full list of tour dates via the band’s official website.
- Courtney Love to Discuss ‘Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck’ at Tribeca
- ‘Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck’ Trailer Features Never-Before-Seen Footage
- ‘Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck’ Director Opens Up About Film
- Frances Bean Cobain and Courtney Love Hug at Kurt Cobain Documentary Premiere
- ‘Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck’ Documentary to Feature Book