Jack White’s ‘Blunderbuss’ was the No. 1 vinyl album of last year
There’s no denying that Jack White enjoyed a great 2012. First, his debut solo album, “Blunderbuss,” entered the Billboard 200 chart at No. 1 and garnered the singer and guitarist a handful of Grammy nominations. Now, it appears White has another No. 1 position, and this one has to do with his vinyl.
White’s vinyl release of “Blunderbuss,” according to year-end Nielsen Soundscan reports, was the best-selling vinyl album of 2012. In fact, the release pushed over 33,000 copies on vinyl, topping the vinyl version of the Beatles’ 1969 album “Abby Road,” which held the top spot for the past three years.
The showing also makes “Blunderbuss” the highest-selling new vinyl release, ie. not a catalog album, since Nielsen started charting vinyl sales in 2008.
In other vinyl news, wax sales are on the rise, as Nielsen reports that sales of vinyl sides were up 16.3% in 2012. Specifically, 3.2 million vinyl records were sold last year. Vinyl sales were up 39% in 2011, so it seems vinyl is back in a big way.
- Jack White to Receive Honors from Recording Academy Producers and Engineers
- Jack White Acoustic Album to Drop in September
- Jack White Has a Fan in Dolly Parton
- Pearl Jam Perform Surprise Gig with Jack White
- White Stripes’ ‘Peel Sessions’ to Drop on Record Store Day