Daft Punk and Panda Bear of Animal Collective are offering personalized skateboard decks in an online charity auction
Skateboarding is all the rage again, and Daft Punk and Panda Bear of Animal Collective are getting in on the trend in the best possible way: by offering personalized skateboard decks in an online auction with proceeds to benefit a charity founded by Tony Hawk.
The auction, called the Boards + Bands sale, offers skateboards donated by pro skaters and adorned with the lyrics of their favorite songs. Daft Punk decorated a deck from skater Aaron “Jaws” Homoki, and Animal Collective’s Panda Bear ornamented a skateboard from Andrew Reynolds. The Clash’s Mick Jones and Paul Simonon also got in on the auction, autographing a special skateboard that Hawk donated with lyrics to “London Calling.”
Others artists involved with this year’s auction include Elton John, John’s lyricist Bernie Taupin and singer-songwriter Ben Harper. Harper is actually to thank for the idea of the Bands + Boards auction, which is in its second year.
The Boards + Bands auction runs now through Dec. 15. Fans can on the skateboards via the Boards and Bands website. Proceeds from the sale go to the Tony Hawk Foundation’s initiative to help build positive recreational outlets for at-risk youth.
- Daft Punk, Lorde, Vampire Weekend and Arctic Monkeys on Rolling Stone’s Best Songs of 2013 List
- Daft Punk Hit No. 1 on Billboard 200 Chart with ‘Random Access Memories’
- Daft Punk Say ‘Get Lucky’ Brings Together Different Eras of Dance Music
- Daft Punk Hit No. 1 in the U.K. with ‘Get Lucky’
- Daft Punk Release New Single, ‘Get Lucky’