Can you envision Metallica with Lars Ulrich on vocals?
Could Lars Ulrich actually have been Metallica’s lead vocalist? According to Megaforce Records co-founder Jon “Jonny Z” Zazula, at one point, there was a possibility – albeit slight – that Ulrich could have been the band’s frontman instead of James Hetfield. That’s one of the strangest things we’ve heard in a while.
“Lars and I planned a lot of stuff. But James wasn’t the most confident of singers,” Zazula, who inked Metallica to their first record deal, told Metal Hammer. “I don’t think he felt comfortable.”
He added, “At one point there was even talk of Lars becoming the frontman. For about five seconds.”
In the end, Ulrich remained Metallica’s drummer, Hetfield served as the band’s lead singer and metal mayhem ensued. The band is currently working on its 10th studio album, which will mark the group’s follow-up to its 2008 release, “Death Magnetic.” The guys of Metallica are expected to release the new album later this year. Considering that it’s been nearly a decade since their last studio release, fans are ready for the new tunes.
Follow Audio Ink on Facebook here and Twitter @AudioInkRadio.
- Jason Newsted Weighs In on Metallica’s New Album and Robert Trujillo
- Korn Taps Metallica Bassist Robert Trujilo’s Son for Upcoming Tour
- Metallica, Guns N’ Roses, AFI Members Featured in New Green Day Movie
- Metallica’s Lars Ulrich: You Want to Make Shows into Events
- Metallica and Lady Gaga Share Grammy Rehearsal Footage