Killswitch Engage guitarist on writing: ‘We’re a five-dude band, not one-dude band’
Killswitch Engage are re-energized, back with original vocalist Jesse Leach and working hard on their new album, tentatively due out in early 2012. The Massachusetts metal band are also currently on the Trespass America Festival, touring the states alongside Five Finger Death Punch, Trivium, Battlecross, Pop Evil and more.
As for the new music, guitarist Adam Dutkiewicz recently told Alternative Press that the band have the basics down for roughly 16 tracks, as well as vocals to two songs. “When we get [off tour] in September, we’ll put the finishing touches on the other 14,” he said. “The two are just about completed. One of them actually leaked already somehow. Somebody at the record company who is an absolute idiot did it. The only bummer about it was the fact that it’s just not done. It would have been nice to have something a little more complete leak.”
Dutkiewicz went on to explain the band’s writing process. It’s wholly a group effort. “We all try to come up with ideas on our own and then bring them to the table, he said. “I’ll just kind of come up with a song idea in my head, then put it together within Pro Tools and show everybody. Then all the lyric ideas kind of come last, so being without a vocalist wasn’t too inhibiting of our process.
“We want to make sure everybody has a say even on songs that somebody completely writes from start to finish. At the end of the day, we’re a five-dude band, not one-dude band.”
- Killswitch Engage Singer Jesse Leach to Embark on Spoken Word Tour
- Nickelback, Stone Sour, Killswitch Engage and More Featured on Roadrunner Records 30th Anniversary Set
- Killswitch Engage Drummer Justin Foley Sitting Out Tour; As I Lay Dying’s Jordan Mancino Filling In
- Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God Announce Fall North American Tour
- Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Miss May I and Affiance Announce 2013 Tour