Hear the Smashing Pumpkins’ new song, ‘Being Beige,’ off the band’s upcoming album
The Smashing Pumpkins‘ new single, “Being Beige,” starts slow but builds to a warm, sparking chorus. The song is the first hint of music to appear from the Smashing Pumpkins’ forthcoming album, “Monuments to an Elegy,” which is due out this December.
Billy Corgan and company start the song off with a light, simple arrangement, but guitars, piano and drums soon crescendo into a big, grandiose, passion-filled chorus and a full band. On drums is none other than Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, and Lee also sings on the line “The world’s on fire.” Stream the song via the Soundcloud player below.
Corgan says the song is about an important human emotion: love.
“People always ask me to explain songs, and honestly I can’t,” Corgan told Rolling Stone of the new song. “But if there’s honesty in this lyric, it’s that there’s something amiss in our cosmos. Yet still, we must love.”
“Monuments to an Elegy” will arrive on Dec. 9. The Pumpkins will also release a second album, “Day for Night,” sometime in 2015.
Hear Smashing Pumpkins’ New Song, ‘Being Beige’:
- Smashing Pumpkins Reunite with James Iha for First Time in 16 Years
- Billy Corgan on Getting Mentioned in Foo Fighters’ Video: ‘This is Hysterical’
- Billy Corgan Writes Tribute to Scott Weiland
- Billy Corgan: Radiohead Was the Last Band That Did Anything New With Guitar
- The Smashing Pumpkins Announce 2015 Acoustic Tour Dates