A new record of Kurt Cobain material is on the way, says ‘Montage of Heck’ director Brett Morgen
Even though he’s been gone for decades, a new album from Kurt Cobain is on the way. The new comes from “Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck” director Brett Morgen, who was given special access to the late Nirvana fronmtan’s personal archives when putting together the documentary.
During an interview with Bedford + Bowery, Morgen was asked if any of that audio that was found during his research will be released as an album, and Morgen said that an album is being put together.
“We’re going to be putting out an amazing album this summer that I think will answer that question,” Morgen said.
He added that the record “will feel like you’re kind of hanging out with Kurt Cobain on a hot summer day in Olympia, Washington, as he fiddles about. It’s going to really surprise people.”
Morgen clarified that the new record will not be a new Nirvana album.
“Just to be clear, it’s not a Nirvana album,” he said. “It’s just Kurt and you’re going to hear him do things you never expected to come out of him.”
“Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck” will premiere at 9 p.m. ET Monday (May 4) on HBO.
- Nirvana Singer Kurt Cobain Would Have Turned 50 Years Old Today
- Krist Novoselic on What Kurt Cobain Would Think of Modern Music
- Justin Bieber Channels Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain at Seattle Show
- Kurt Cobain Influenced by George Martin, Says ‘Nevermind’ Producer
- Kurt Cobain’s Cardigan, Hair to Be Auctioned Off