Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys is in a new band called the Arcs
Dan Auerbach is in a new band called The Arcs, and it’s anything but a solo project. The last time the Black Keys frontman released an album that wasn’t Keys music, it was Auerbach’s 2009 release “Keep It Hid,” which arrived under his own name. In comparison, he said the Arcs’ debut release, “Yours, Dreamily,” was the combination of efforts.
“It just felt wrong to have it under my own name,” Auerbach told NME. “It wasn’t just me that made it special.”
The Arcs includes Auerbach, Leon Michels, Richard Swift and Nick Movshon — who have all toured with The Black Keys — in addition to drummer Homer Steinweiss. “Yours, Dreamily” also showcases the work of Mariachi Flor de Toloache, an all-female mariachi band. At first, Mariachi Flor de Toloache was only going to recored one song for the album, but that changed.
“They did their part and they were amazing,” Auerbach said. “Then we said ‘Hey, can you guys sing, because we’ve got some background vocals we need done?’ And they said ‘Yeah, we can sing.'”
So, he put them on a few songs, including singing leads on the track “Chains of Love.”
“Yours, Dreamily” will reach stores on Sept. 4.
- The Black Keys, Metallica, Dave Grohl and More to Play ‘The Concert for Valor’
- The Black Keys’ Dan Auerbach to Appear on Cowboy Jack Clement’s Final Album
- The Black Keys Streaming Title Track from New Album, ‘Turn Blue’
- The Black Keys Announce New Album Via Mike Tyson Tweet
- The Killers, the Black Keys, Queens of the Stone Age Set for Hangout